The Labor Day weekend is upon us, which, of course, means that summer is coming to a rapid end. We have been “on a break” for the summer months this year and now its time to get back to our usual round of education classes and activities. I will also get back to sending out a regular newsletter to ensure we all stay well informed of everything going on here at All Saints Church.
Sunday School Classes Return
All Sunday School classes resume on Sunday, September 12, at 9:45 a.m. Here are the details.
- Adult Sunday School: This class meets every Sunday morning in the parish hall. Last year, we began a discussion of What Christians Believe—And Why It Matters. Last May, we paused this class while we were discussing the humanity of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and that is where we will pick back up when class reconvenes. This is also the class for our high school students.
- K-3rd Grade Class: This class is taught by Sandy Peninger. The class will be taking a Journey through the Parables of Christ this fall. Activities will be storytelling, drama, crafts and more! The curriculum is designed to help children better understand what God really wants from them.
- 4th-7th Grade Class: Dss. Cynthia teaches this class. It will focus on the Church’s worship and the life of faith of the youth in the class.
Bible Study Resumes
Bible Study will be held on Tuesdays and Wednesdays this year to allow everyone who wishes to participate the opportunity to attend.
- Wednesday Evening Class: This class returns on September 15 at 7:00 p.m. This year we will begin with St. Paul’s Letter to the Hebrews.
- Tuesday Morning Class: On Tuesday mornings at 11:00 a.m., we will also study the Letter to the Hebrews. Dss. Cynthia will be leading this class.
News of Note
Last Saturday, Fred Mosier had a fall at home and was taken to Pardee Hospital for the injuries he sustained. I saw him yesterday and he seemed in good spirits. He is slowly recovering and the next steps for him are not yet known. Please keep him in your prayers.
St. Timothy’s Porch Addition
Asa Cobb, one of the high school students here at Classical Scholars, asked if he could perform an Eagle Scout Project for All Saints Church. He and I had a discussion about what might be possible and we settled on installing benches along the north side of our porch. This had been a project that had been approved by the vestry several months ago but those plans had fallen through. You can see the benches in the picture above. Asa did an excellent job and the benches add greatly to the functionality of the space.
Friar’s Fall Fish Fry
Our Fall Fish Fry is about as early as it can be this year—on October 1! And that means that ticket packets will be available at church this coming Sunday. We ask that you sign out 10 tickets and sell them to your friends, or just buy them and hand them out to folks, to introduce them to our parish. Tickets are $9.00 each in advance ($10 at the door) for breaded tilapia filets, roasted potatoes, hush puppies, coleslaw, and iced tea or lemonade. As we did last spring, take-out and dine-in will run from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Kids under 12 eat free.
Join Our Choir!
Choir practice has returned. The All Saints Choir meets on Wednesday evenings at 6:30 p.m. in the church. If you have considered joining the All Saints Choir, now is the perfect time to get started! Stop by and talk to Todd our organist on Sunday to find out more about what is involved in being a choir member.
Next Sunday, September 12, we will kick off our fall fellowship with a parish cookout immediately following the 11:00 a.m. celebration of the Holy Communion. Hamburgers and hot dogs will be provided. Please sign up on the Parish News bulletin board to let us know what side dish you will be bringing.
Fellowship Lunch Teams
It is time to gather your lunch teams together and then sign up your team on the bulletin board. Fellowship lunches occur after the 11:00 a.m. Holy Communion on Sundays and will be held on the 2nd and 4th Sunday of every month.
All Saints Church Cookbook
Amy Miller has formed a Church Cookbook Committee as a fundraiser and outreach for our All Saints Ladies Group. Please see her if you have any questions. Submission forms are available in the weekly bulletin. You can also make your submission online by clicking here to bring up the submission form. When doing it online, you just fill it out by typing in the information and then clicking on the SUBMIT RECIPE button on the page. That sends it directly to the church office. We encourage all of you to submit 3 to 5 recipes to help us fill up the book. Thanks for helping out!
The Classical Scholars high school and middle school programs are back in session here at the church. Classes run from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday every week.
Please remember to bring in non-perishable items for our monthly in-gathering for those less fortunate than us. Western Carolina Rescue Mission in Buncombe County is this month’s recipient.
Well, I think I will end it here today because that is a lot of information above. I trust everyone had a wonderful summer and I look forward to seeing all of you back in church as we gather together to worship our Lord and live His Gospel!
This Week in the Parish
Sunday, September 5, Fourteenth Sunday after Trinity
· 8:30 a.m., Holy Communion
· 11:00 a.m., Holy Communion
Monday, September 6, Labor Day
· Office Closed
Wednesday, September 8
· 6:00 p.m., Holy Communion
· 6:30 p.m., Choir Practice